Zita the Spacegirl: Far from Home - Fun

Zita the Spacegirl - Ben Hatke

Quite a cute graphic novel; I quite enjoyed seeing Zita's adventures on a world far from her own. The drawing style was fun and deceptively simple. The shapes are simple, the hair is as well, but the setting is detailed in surprising places, giving the cells a depth and realness to them. I loved Zita and the friends she gathered, particularly Mouse and Randy (the yellow robot).

The plot though, was terribly predictable. For the age range this wouldn't usually be an issue but for an older reader, pick the most obvious plot idea for each character and each major change and you'd get this book. However, I still enjoyed it and loved watching Zita's adventures unfold, her gang grow, and waiting for the inevitable.

I also loved her questing to save her friend Joseph and being the one to save the planet with Randy, though did her friend have to wear glasses and just scream weak?

(show spoiler)

The setting was neat, giving us a grungier look at space then a kid might picture. This world looks lived in and has a history, lending it tangibility. At one point, thye even travel through a huge junk yard full of robot parts, etc. I also wish we could have seen more of the Gilliam's Guide to Sentient Species book. Maybe there could be a spin-off book.

I enjoyed this junvenile graphic novel and think young as well as young at heart would enjoy it. I've already got the sequel from the library, and I can't wait to start.