William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily a New Hope [Audible]

William Shakespeare's Star Wars - Ian Doescher

My review of the book can be found here, where I discuss more about the writing,etc.

Somehow it's fitting that one of the first books I got using my Audible credits should be one of the last books I listened to this year. I didn't plan it that way, though I did wait a bit so the book and audiobook could be judged separately. I needn't have worried, this shown just fine all on its own.

Shakespeare was meant to be spoken, to be heard. Surely I'm not the only person who reads it aloud when they read one of the plays? The same was true of Shakespeare's Star Wars, so of course an audiobook was a good choice. But they went the next step and made it a production complete with multiple voices and sound effects! There were five performers, one of which was the author, which spread out the voices well. There was a real attempt to sound like the original actors and while some were better then others, I could basically always tell the character speaking even without an introduction. The sound effects were placed perfectly and never overwhelmed the voices and story.

I said when the book came out this needed to be put on as a play and this has only strengthened that belief. It would need to be done as a Shakespeare play and with a bit of tongue in cheek but it could be done and done well.

If you read the book and liked it, why not enjoy it even more the second time as a performance? If you were worried about getting through the writing, this would be a far easier and almost certainly a more fun way of experiencing this unique look on two timeless parts of our culture.