McKay's Book Haul and Christmas Books

There are two circumstances where/when I generally have a book haul. The two of them happened to combine this year: going to McKay's used books and Christmas money.

Visiting my family nearly always lends itself to traveling across town to a huge warehouse of used books and DVDs where you just might find anything. The prices are not always great, sometimes it's almost the same as buying it in the store. But sometimes, you get lucky. Even more rarely, sometimes you get VERY lucky.

I got very lucky.

First at an antique store we went to, I found two books I've long been looking for.

Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel With the Wrinkled Knees - Johnny Gruelle Soldiers Blue And Gray - James I. Robertson Jr.

A 1960s copy of the Camel with the Wrinkled Knees. I've loved the Camel since the movie Raggedy Ann and Andy: A Musical Adventure. If you've never seen it, you should check out some clips of it from YouTube. Joe Raposo wrote the songs and I still remember and sing them from time to time. Also James I Robertson, Jr.'s Soldiers Blue and Gray. This comes highly recommended from my dad and I've also wanted to read it since I got a chance to meet him at a Civil War round table when I was in middle school.

At McKays I found several hardcovers in the Diane Mott Davidson series. They had sat on my Amazon list for a year or more but I found here cheaper...and with no shipping!.

The Main Corpse - Diane Mott Davidson The Grilling Season - Diane Mott Davidson  Prime Cut (Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #8) - Diane Mott Davidson Sticks and Scones (Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, Book 10) - Diane Mott Davidson   Fatally Flaky (Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, Book 15) - Diane Mott Davidson

I also was able to get a few other books on my extremely long To Buy list:

In Enemy Hands  - David Weber Mission of Honor - David Weber Cockatiels at Seven - Donna Andrews Yankee Doodle Dead - Carolyn Hart Government Issue: Comics for the People, 1940s-2000s - Richard L. Graham,  Sid Jacobson The Mysterious Case of Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys - Carole Kismaric,  Marvin Heiferman

Inuyasha, Volume 7 - Rumiko Takahashi Go to the Pound and Get a Dog...Then Learn to Fly an Airplane - H. Graham Swafford Jr. I got two books as Christmas presents, one the next manga in a series I'm collecting and th  e other by a local author my parents know...and the book even has two chapters written by my dad. My brother also gave me the Lord of the Rings Extended BlueRay edition. No idea when we'll be able to watch them...but I can't wait to see what the quality of the picture is like! The last time I watched them, it was on my tiny personal TV.

Jane Austen Cover to Cover: 200 Years of Classic Book Covers - Margaret C. Sullivan  The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place - Julie Berry  The Dark Lady (Sherlock, Lupin, and Me #1) - Irene Adler,  Iacopo Bruno,  Chris Turner  The Soprano's Last Song (Sherlock, Lupin, and Me) - Irene Adler,  Iacopo Bruno

And finally, LL and I went to Barnes and Noble over his long New Years weekend and I spent some of my Grandmother's gift to get a few books I've recently put on my list...as well as two I'd not heard of and had to get. The two middle grade books about a young Sherlock Holmes, Arsene Lupin, and Irene Adler are wonderfully put together and I can't wait to crack them open! I hope they are as good as they look! I was also able to find Foyle's War Collection 1-6 DVDs for a great price. All in all, I'm a very rich and very happy reader (and watcher)...though my reading list has grown more then I'd originally planned for it to!

Now I'm trying to figure out where to put them all!