Horton and the Kwuggerbug and more Lost Stories by Dr. Seuss

Horton and the Kwuggerbug and More Lost Stories - Dr. Seuss

I remember seeing the news when this book first came out but for some reason, it got lost in the shuffle of other books. It was not until I read Ronyell's wonderful review that I tracked this down.

By and large, I liked it. We revisit old friends here, Horton and Marco, as well a the familiar place of Mulberry St.

Horton and the Kwuggerbug

Our old friend Horton is sent on a dangerous trip with the Kwuggerbug to get Beezlenuts. (If any of you remember where Beezlenuts appeared before, leave a comment!) The one experiencing all the danger is our poor elephant...and can he trust this bug?

I really liked this one, it might be my favorite. The rhymes are great, the pictures are good, and the story was exciting and pure Seuss.

Marco Comes Late

Our imaginative Marco arrives quite late to school. Miss Block requests an explanation and we get treated to another amazing story that may or may not be true.

I found this a good continuation of And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street. The illustrations are not quite the level as many of his larger works. The pictures remind me more of those found in the Easy Reading books. The story was quite fun and I continue to love Marco's overactive imagination. I also like Miss Block's calling him on his story.

How Officer Pat Saved the Whole Town

Officer Pat takes his role of protecting Mulberry Street very seriously. So when he notices a gnat about to wake up a sleeping cat, he can immediately see the terrifying series of events that will unleash.

I really liked this one. I'll admit, it took a bit but once you realize that another character is continuing the tradition from Marco's first book, you can really appreciate what's going on. The gnat also reminds me of Seuss' work advertising Flit Insecticide.

The Hoobub and the Grinch

A nice and easy Hoobub is enjoying the sunshine when a Grinch (not the one of which you think) comes by and attempts to sell him a simple piece of green string.

This is a very short story but one that has quite a point. When you consider Seuss' job mentioned above, this takes on a rather interesting element. The last line however is quite sad as it is so often true.

And the Hoobub...he bought!

(And I'm sorry to say That Grinches sell Hoobubs such things every day.)

(show spoiler)

All in all, I quite enjoyed this one and know it will be on my shelf quite soon.