Saga, Vol 3

Saga, Volume 3 - Fiona Staples, Brian K. Vaughan

Reviews of Vol 1 and Vol 2.

The longer this series goes, the more I enjoy it. It's very thought provoking but more, it makes you love the characters.

Marko and Alana finally arrive at the house of the author of the book that brought them together. He gets to hold Hazel, named from the book and he meets Klara, Marko's recently widowed mother. The short time they have to rest there is lovely, almost a dream. It doesn't last long enough.

Meanwhile, The Will, Gwendolyn, Sophie (Slave Girl), and Lying Cat are stuck on a planet waiting for their ship to be fixed. The place turns out to be dangerous and the group they are building is tested greatly. As much as I hate what he's doing, I can't help but like The Will and even Gwendolyn raised in my estimation.

We also get to see the wider universe. Two tabloid jounalists are working on Marko and Alana's story, though it's clear nobody wants them to publish it.

All of these books have a bittersweet quality about them and it's particularly great in #3. The Prince, The Will, emotions from Marko's father's death, and particularly

Oswald Heist

(show spoiler)

were all hard moments to deal with.

A quick warning: there are a couple graphic parts, both violent and sexual in this volume. It certainly still toes the line of Graphic Novels I can read.

These have been good and I think are getting better. I can't wait to pick up the next one.