Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1)

Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1) - Jenn McKinlay As stated elsewhere, I have six wonderful Goldy Bear series books waiting for me to read so I don't have to time to dedicate a full review to this book, unfortunately because this was a really good book.

When I first started this book, I didn't think I would like it very much. Not because it was a bad book or anything, it was just that in comparison to Davidson's series (mentioned above) it didn't stand up as well as it would if I had been reading something else. That wasn't fair to this book, however, and I worked hard to read this and judge it on its own merit.

Like Davidson's book, the best parts of this book are not the mystery but the characters and the parts of the story that focus on the personal aspects surrounding each of the characters. The setting of the book was wonderful; every time the perspective turned out of doors, I swear I could smell the sea and see the islands and small villages of New England. I have family in Maine I've visited and though Maine and Connecticut are different, there are similarities. I could almost taste the chowder they talked about and I loved meeting the interesting and unique people in this small town.

The mystery itself was...kind of disappointing. I thought the mystery in [b:Catering to Nobody|269746|Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #1)|Diane Mott Davidson|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1340227366s/269746.jpg|2516519] was easy but this was a no-brainer. It almost certainly couldn't be Beth (it wouldn't be a cozy mystery if that were true) so unless the author pulled someone out of the woodwork at the last minute(then it wouldn't be a mystery by definition), it simply could only be one person. Quite...elementary. The slight twist was not something I'd seen but the person didn't change, simply the identity.

Still, I really enjoyed this book and am anxious to read the next one...which is checked out of the library for several months!

Well, at least I have Goldy and Aspen Meadows to keep me company while I wait.