Worst of Friends: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the True Story of an American Feud - Suzanne Jurmain, Larry Day

*5 Stars*

* Ease of Reading - 10
* Photos/Illustrations - 9
Final Score: 73/80 = 91%

*The Gush*

One can never be sure how a picture book concerning history will turn out but I simply couldn’t pass up the chance to learn more about these two men who helped build our country. I also knew

they died on July 4th in the same year only hours and a few miles from each other

(show spoiler)

. However, my fears were put to rest by the paragraph on the dedication page where the author talks about other presidents who have and mostly have not been friends.

The story itself is wondrously simple that anyone can understand and yet contains so much insight and fact that even a historian should learn something. I know I certainly learned a lot. The friends are compared and contrasted very well as we learn about them personally as well as their political ideas. The ending is touching, all the more so because it’s true! One wishes the country could reconcile as these two men did.

The illustrations are delightful, humorous, and work to show the dichotomy of the two and yet also how similar they were as well.
My favorite part had to be the talk about their two libraries: ‘John’ had 3,200 books and ‘Tom’ had 6,707 books! And I thought I had a lot!

*The Rant*

Nothing really: they even included a selected bibliography!

*Conclusion*

A delightful picture book that entertains while it teaches, this is a must read for everyone. It also shows that you don’t have to agree to be friends. Something adults as well as children need to learn.