Truce: The Day the Soldiers Stopped Fighting - Jim Murphy I'm not going to do my full review on this because I'd have to wait at least another week and chew on my thoughts on this book to do that and I have to take it back tomorrow.

First let me say, I liked the book. I've always been interested in WWI more then many other parts of history and the Christmas Truce is something that everyone knows happened but they don't know the facts about it.

That being said, I have to confess to being a bit disappointed in this one. I have loved every Jim Murphy history book I've found yet and thought that this would be a shoe in because of my interest in WWI. Instead, I found it...boring. The fact were interesting, it was laid out adequately but not up to his standard, but I didn't get the excitement for the subject I've gotten from every one of his other books. His notes at the end suggest a reason; he originally was researching to write on a completely different topic but good books were put out on the subject and so he put it back as a personal research project. Then he became interested in this and finally wrote a book about. I can't help but wonder if he never captured the level of interest he generally shows for this subject. It is adequate but not up to what I've seen as his standard.

Still, I learned a great deal from this book, some so shocking especially since I took a college course on the subject.
Facts such as:

*France nursed a grudge over a lost war with Germany for 40 years yet couldn't see that the Treaty of Versailles would do the same thing for the German people and lead to WWII. Talk about selective blindness.

*Apparently the Austro-Hungarian Emperor was...less then broken up over the Arch-Duke's assassination as he'd married a commoner and worse, planned to give the Slavic minority greater freedom when he ascended the throne.

*The Emperor's advisers and Kaiser Wilhelm pushed him to blame Serbia even though he had a secret report saying they were not to blame...and he allowed himself to be pushed even after Serbia virtually agreed to his ultimatum in order to stop the war from happening. The Kaiser himself tried to back off when he learned about the last, but by then it was too late.

And that was just the first chapter.

The information about the Truce itself was equally enlightening and well worth the read.

All in all, I do recommend this book, I'd just read a couple of his other books first so you understand that this is not his best. It's good, but it could definitely have been better.

*Warning*
Some of the pictures from the battlefield were a bit difficult to look at. They were not too much for older children or young adults per say but they were shocking and might be distressing for some.