Best of 2013 Part I: Best of Fandoms

Star Trek: The Original Topps Trading Card Series - 'Paula M. Block',  'Terry J. Erdmann' Sherlock: The Casebook - Guy Adams William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, a New Hope - Ian Doescher One Piece, Vol. 68: Pirate Alliance - Eiichiro Oda East Blue 7-8-9 - Eiichiro Oda Doctor Who: The Silent Stars Go By - Dan Abnett Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise - Gurihiru, Bryan Konietzko, Michael Dante DiMartino, Gene Luen Yang, Dave Marshall

After the debacle at the end of last year, where I basically lost my eyesight from Sept. through early January, I was ready to read as much as I could this year. Well, I certainly did that with 230+ books this year. I'm not sure I would personally count all those like that as many of them were manga (I'd count those three to one) but that's still a decent amount. And by and large, this has been a good year for books. I've discovered some new series that are now favorites, rediscovered old friends, and as seen below, added new favorite books about my favorite fandoms.

This year has also seen a lot of changes in my reading life...but more about that later.

Below are brief blurbs about books I've read this year that fit the segment. Clicking on the picture of the book will send you to my review for each of them.

Best of Fandom

I found this book very late in the year and knew I had to read it. It was everything I could have hoped for and more.

I knew as soon as I saw this I had to have this book! I couldn't believe I hadn't heard it had come out yet considering I'd been on the lookout for a Sherlock tie-in book from the moment I watched the first episode. This was exactly like the show: the dialogue, the comments, the interplay between the characters - it was all there and I loved it!

Another book that I had to pick up the minute I saw this! I scooped it up and ran to buy it immediately. Two of my favorite things, Shakespeare and Star Wars, together? That would be hard to mess up. And thankfully, he didn't. Now I just have to wait for the next two books...and the audio books, since I found out that it's actually preformed for the audio book. Really? Sold!

Finally I've been able to broaden my horizons and move my love of the One Piece Anime into the Manga. I was so far behind that I decided to start buying the 3 in 1 volumes and I am soooo glad I did. Talk about saving you some money. The manga is just as good as the anime, in many ways better, and I can't wait to keep collecting it.

Thank goodness for my local library! Without them, I would never have been able to read up to current One Piece volume and be concurrent with the series over here. Unfortunately, we are right now in the Punk Hazard arc. I'm praying it goes quickly. Warning: I don't really spoil anything in this review and I think it's pretty funny even for non-fans of the series, but if you are thinking of picking this up, you might want to give this one a miss.

I really loved this book and was pleasently surprised by just how good I found it. While I now think that 2013's Christmas Special (Matt Smith's last) is the best of the best, I still say this would have made a good Christmas Special too.

My husband and I were very surprised by how much we loved Avatar: The Last Airbender. We watched all three seasons on Netflix within three weeks of each other and now own two of the three on DVD. So when I saw this beautiful hardcover comic that collected a series and contained author and illustrator notes, I picked it right up. The best memory connected to this book, I bought this in St. Louis in an awesome Comic Book store while there to watch Star Trek: Into Darkness for my birthday. One of the BEST BIRTHDAYS EVER!