Best of 2013 Part II: Surprises (Good!)

Cinder - Marissa Meyer Scarlet - Marissa Meyer Catering to Nobody - Diane Mott Davidson The Man in the Moon (Guardians of Childhood) - William Joyce The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Mansnoozie - William Joyce Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare - William Joyce, Laura Geringer East Blue 7-8-9 - Eiichiro Oda Baroque Works 19-20-21, - Eiichiro Oda Star Trek: Countdown to Darkness - Roberto Orci, Mike Johnson, David Messina Fatally Flaky (Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, Book 15) - Diane Mott Davidson

Some of the surprises this year were wonderful. There were books that I have long been leery of that I found were fantastic. I found Series I wish either existed when I was young or I'd followed from the beginning. And I found this wonderful site called Booklikes that lets me review my books but also just share my thoughts, converse with fellow book lovers, and generally be my space on the internet.

As in my first part, clicking on the book covers will send you to my reviews of the books. For series, I've included the first book I read and the last book I've read in the series this year.

Surprises of 2013 (Good!)

When I first learned of these two books, I said there was no way I would read them. I was sure they would not live up to the hype surrounding them and I'm always leery of first books, particularly concerning YA. But I finally broke down and I'm sooo glad I did. While not perfect, these are fun and interesting YA retellings of fairy tells and I can't wait for Cress!

Cozy mysteries and I have a love/hate relationship. Some I devour and can't get enough of; others have me run screaming back to Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Laurie R. King. So back when I was first really getting into mysteries, I stayed far away from this series because...mysteries solved by a caterer...with recipes...yeah, no. But I listened to a Modern Scholar set on Detective Fiction that used Mott Davidson's series as a great example of cozy mysteries. I decided that if a college professor thought enough of it to include in her discussion, I should give it a go. Within two months (probably less), I'd read almost the entire series.

I discovered William Joyce' Guardians of Childhood series through the Guardian's movie and I had to know more about this world. While Nicholas St. North's story was good, I LOVED the children's picture books and can't wait to see if he does more. I still have Toothiana and Bunnymund's chapter books to read.

See part I for my thoughts on One Piece.

I was so excited to see that Into Darkness was coming out basically on my birthday. Even though I was not sure how to feel about the movie before it came out, I was looking forward to their Countdown Comic to the movie as I'd really liked the one for the first movie. This was really good, but you don't really understand it completely until after you see the movie.