Best of 2013 Part III: Surprises (Bad)!

OFF-TOPIC: The Story of an Internet Revolt by G.R. Reader - G.R. Reader Star Trek: Movie Adaptation (Star Trek - Robert Orci, Alex Kurtzman, Mike Johnson, David Messina Rosie the Riveter: Women Working on the Homefront in World War II - Penny Colman Shakespeare's London on 5 Groats a Day - Richard Tames The Gallery of Regrettable Food: Highlights from Classic American Recipe Books - James Lileks Who Could That Be At This Hour? - Lemony Snicket, Seth The Library: An Illustrated History - Stuart A.P. Murray, Nicholas A. Basbanes, Donald G. Davis Jr.

However, not all of the surprises were good this year. While I was not affect in that I had no reviews deleted, I was hurt and appalled at what had happened to a community I'd come to care a great deal about. I'm glad that it led me here to Booklikes, but it rather soured me on reading for a bit. Also, several books I'd been looking forward to for quite awhile turned out to be less then ideal.

As with the other two parts, clicking on the covers will send you to my reviews of the respective books. Some of these books don't necessarily have a 'bad' rating. Rather it was the fact that expectations were NOT met.

Surprises of 2013 (Bad!)

As stated above, Goodreads all but destroying themselves and spitting on major reviewers who had made that site what it was was a really bad surprise. The book detailing what happened and people's responses to it was actually really good and very articulate. The fact that it had to be made at all was what made it so tragic and 'bad'.

After reading the two other comics that came in the set, I was really expecting the actual adaptation of movie to be quite good, particularly when I realized that deleted scenes were included. Instead, the comic had caught IDW's dreaded Doctor Who disease, where people don't look at ALL like themselves and often change faces every page.

This book was not terribly great on it's own merits but in comparison with the Egyptian version in the series, it looks even worse. The fact that I prefer a book on Egyptology, which is not one of my favorite sections of history, over this, which is, says volumes.

I couldn't even get through 10 pages. It read as if a five year old wrote it. I couldn't take it. I sent it back to the library quickly. It was bad.

While not a bad book, and I highly recommend Llileks' website, I can't really get through this book for a couple of reasons. The biggest one is that some of the pictures of the food is so bad, I can't look at them without getting queasy. Read Interior Desecrations instead.

I had high hopes for this book. I love Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, but this was terribly disappointing. This was nearly amateur, which his other books are certainly not.

This was the most disappointing read of the year. I'd REALLY hoped this would be a great history of one of my favorite places of all time and instead I read one of the most poorly put together books, never mind one that pretends to be a history book. It's easier to tell what is good about this book; it has great pictures.