Death of a Cozy Writer - Apr. 10 - DNF at p. 119

Death of a Cozy Writer (A St. Just Mystery #1) - G.M. Malliet

I've been wanting to read this since I first saw the title. A mystery concerning the death of a cozy writer? Sign me up! I did not check this out from the library for a time though, because you have to request it and have it waiting for you. So it languished on my list until I stumbled upon the title again and finally asked for it.

And I can't finish it.

Quite frankly, I'm terribly bored. Seriously, I fell asleep twice and after over 100 pages...we're still in the set up! And it all concerns people and situations I couldn't care less about. We're over 100 pages in and we have no dead body: only more exposition!

So far we know a great deal about stock, stereotypical characters who couldn't be less interesting if they tried. A domineering, mean-spirited, glutenous father who writes mysteries about a Miss Marple-esque character has thrown his family into an uproar with the news he plans to remarry. His fiance has a questionable past, his ex-wife drinks, and his children are in order: a bully and covetous man with a wife one person has labeled 'Lillith'; a self-conscious and overweight daughter who has searched for a place to belong; a mediocre actor who drinks rather then face the truth; and a younger, feekless son who is currently dabbling in art and art galleries and who can't bear to be without young female companionship. The butler doesn't do his job, the only person who likes the writer is his cook, and he changes his will constantly on whims.

I feel like I've seen this one before. I can practically picture the actors who played these basic characters in various shows.

It was not only the above issues that caused me to give up. While the writing was not exciting, it wasn't bad - except for occasional sentences that shocked me from the flow of the text. Odd word choices or turns of phrase that didn't quite make sense made this book even slower going.

I'll give you one example:

It was in such a flat that Sarah Beauclerk-Fisk received her issue of the invitation to her father's wedding.

It sounds here and in other places, as if the writer used a thesaurus but didn't quite know how to fit some of the chosen words together in a believable sentence. I too play with synonyms so I know I can happen. The problem comes when the synonym chosen doesn't quite fit with the context.

Maybe this book gets better. I hope it does, but I won't be there to see it. There are simply other books I have to read...and I don't want to get to any mystery and simply not care.

Oh well, better luck next time.

Happy Reading, y'all!