Library Reconnaissance and Book Haul!

Berthe Morisot : Impressionist - Charles F. Stuckey Everything's Coming Up Profits: The Golden Age of Industrial Musicals - Steve Young, Sport Murphy The Judgment of Paris: The Revolutionary Decade That Gave the World Impressionism - Ross King The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How it Changed America - David Hajdu What Einstein Told His Barber: More Scientific Answers to Everyday Questions - Robert L. Wolke The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris - David McCullough, Edward Herrmann Memory: Volume 2, Trials to Bear: A Tale of Pride and Prejudice - Linda Wells Impulse and Initiative (Pride & Prejudice Variation) - Abigail Reynolds Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy: The Last Man in the World - Abigail Reynolds

I posted previously that we were going to scope out how the refurbished 2nd floor of our library looked. It was beautiful! Some of the shelves got reused but much of it was lovely, light colored wood, a new desk area for the reference section, and great places to curl up with a book. We stayed until we were basically kicked out.

I also picked up some books I'm looking forward to attempting to read. Not sure I can get through all of them, but I'm going to give it a serious try. These will cover the books I picked up yesterday as well. I'm NOT planning to get through all these in two weeks. Most of these I'll renew the full amount possible.

Berthe Morisot, Impressionist - This was a name that came up often in Dawn of the Belle Epoque. I'd never heard of her before but I've been looking up her artwork online for a bit and wanted to see more of it in a better format. I'll read a bit but this one I might just skim through and mark to read completely later. She was friends with Manet and actually married his brother. She had a daughter and continued to be a commercial painter.

Everything's Coming Up Profits: The Golden Age of Industrial Musicals - This I saw in passing and had to check out, mostly because if I didn't I'd forget it's name! Also I just finished listening to Twilight in the World of Tomorrow, a book about the 1939 New York World's Fair. This made me think of some of the attractions mentioned. Beside, how can you not want to see what was going on with Broadway-esque musicals selling industry?!

The Judgement of Paris - Someone reviewed this a little while ago and it went in my TBR list. And ever since, I've been beat about the head and shoulders with this topic and that painting my Manet featured on the cover. Three art documentaries and the book Dawn of the Belle Epoque mentioned it incessantly. So I'm giving in and plan to work my way through this one. It'll probably be slow going but I'm refusing to take notes this time and just read. After all, I've just finished covering this time period.

The Ten-Cent Plague - I'm not sure if I can finish this one, I'm mostly going to see if it will catch my attention right now. I've had bad luck with another book about comics and so I'm more giving this a glance. I plan to read it in full however, just not sure if it will be right now. I've been anxious to look into this one since Batgrl started reading it.

What Einstein Told His Barber - While waiting for What Einstein Told His Cook, I went ahead and requested this audiobook. The other one was highly recommended, so I'm interested to see what it's like.

The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris - As there is already a hold on this audiobook, I'm not sure I can get through it in time. We'll see. This book, by David McCullough, talks about American artists, writers, etc. who traveled and lived in Paris during the time Dawn of the Belle Epoque was set in. Many of these people were mentioned in the book and I'm anxious to learn more about this in greater depth.

Memory Vol 2: Trials to Bear - After finishing the first in this P&P re-imagining, I immediately requested the sequel. A touch risque in generally for me, I've been struck by how much things have changed and yet how much I've enjoyed - far more then I thought I would. The element that really won me over last book was showing Elizabeth face Darcy's society circle and who helped her prepare. That is something I've long thought about and have not really seen done.

Impulse and Initiative - I'm thinking this is one I read that mentioned throwing at the wall in The Bad Miss Bennett review...but I'm not sure! This will be a quick read though and should take no more then an afternoon.

Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy: The Last Man in the World - Yes, I'm on a P&P re-tellings kick. How could you tell? I've had my eye on this one for awhile, as it's one of the few I've not read yet. It's very short, so I'll probably speed through it quickly.

So, there are the books and yes, I just might be crazy. I might not make my way through all of them as I have others lurking around...but if I confessed how many I really have, you all might stage an intervention! If you really want to know, I'll post a part 2...but seriously, I'm starting to question my sanity!