Long Overdue Book Hauls!

Well, this works out well for me! Today's Book A Day finally gave me the kick I needed.

I tend to have two times a year I really buy books: my birthday and Christmas. Every once in awhile I'll pick up a cheep book but unless I get a chance to visit this absolutely lovely used bookstore near my family where you can turn in books for credit, those are my book buying times. I've been meaning to post all the books I've gotten recently, including the rest of my birthday books...but I seem to only get a chance to race to put up the reviews I'm behind on. So here they are, the last books I've bought. (I know this is going overboard but I think this is the only way I'm getting these up.)

Rest of Birthday Haul:

• Inuyasha VizBig Vols. 4, 5, and 6
  • Rurouni Kenshin VizBig Vols. 4 and 5
  • One Piece 3 in 1: Skypeia (Vols. 25, 26, 27)
  • Bleach Vol 27
  • Library Wars Vol 7, 10, and 11
  • Star Trek IDW # 7 - The Khitomer Conflict
  • Federation: The First 150 Years Special Version

All but the last are continuations of series I follow, some that I've let go for quite awhile. The Library Wars books I've read and I'm currently finishing up the Star Trek IDW comic. The One Piece should be done soon and Inuyasha, RuroKen, and Bleach may soon be showing up on your dashboards. I hope to at least reread one of them this year.

Federation: the First 150 Years I've been wanting for quite awhile. You can get a cheaper version of this book but I wanted to get the special edition with a stand and a message recorded by "Admiral Hikaru Sulu" because I have something similar from Star Wars and quite like it. I haven't had the chance to start reading it but I look forward to really learning the history of a Fandom I've loved for decades.

Library Book Fair Haul!

• Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!
  • Kill Shakespeare graphic novel Vol 1
  • Moribito I and II
  • Literary America
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond
  • The Bookstore
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers
  • The Private Life of the Cat Who

There is nothing better then a Library book fair...unless it's one where they are doing a grab bag sale. And we got there just in time. For $5 we got a bag we could fill and while LL got some books he'd been looking at, I did get a bit more then he did. Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! and The Witch of Blackbird Pond are Newbery winners and were both hardcovers, which I wanted. The first I've yet to read but I love Witch of Blackbird Pond and broke the spine of my mass market paperback reading it so much. And with beautiful illustrations, I had to get it.

The Kill Shakespeare graphic novel I've review and hope to find the rest of the series. Moribito I and II I'd never heard of but they looked good and I wanted to try them. The same for Literary America. The Bookstore and The Stockholm Octavo I remembered from reviews I'd read and vaguely remembered them being okay for the first and good for the second. The Cat Who books I got because I love that series and hope to slowly buy them.

Library Issues/New Used Bookstore Found/Cliffhanger Evil

• Cat Trick
  • Chance Encounters
  • Final Catcall

I've been completely consumed by Sofie Kelly's Magical Cats Mystery series and have been waiting patiently for the books from my library to come available. That ended when Cat Trick, which I had on hold, was designated missing. Knowing my library, the series would end before they replaced it so I decided to just buy it. I found a like new copy at a Used Bookstore just a few blocks from us I didn't even know existed! I'm definitely going back. They also had a good selection of Austen pastiches, so I decided to give Chance Encounters a try, as the plot sounded interesting. I ended up finding her trilogy at the library and reading two of them first...but I'm going back to this one now.

And though I thought I might want to hedge my bets and get the book after Cat Trick instead, I didn't and found out Kelly had left a truly horrible cliffhanger. So yes, I totally Final Catcall...that ending was pure evil.

Visiting Bookstore/Antique Mall - aka, should have known better!

• The Book on the Bookshelf
  • Book Lust
  • Nevins Massive Civil War series Vols 1,2, 5-8

The Book on the Bookshelf and Book Lust were books I've had my eye one and they happened to be at a used bookstore and library, respectively when I was.

The Nevins series is one I've long wanted as it is a seminal work in American Civil War historiography. All of the later and current books on the subject use this as a source or use a book that used this as a source. One example would be Shelby Foote's work on the subject. It has been out of print for awhile and prices for a complete set or even single books are ridiculous. A complete set on Amazon I saw recently with no mention of the condition they were in was $300+! LL and I were wandering through an Antique Mall we didn't even know was in the area when I saw nearly all the volumes. These are in very decent condition, former library books - so the dust covers are protected - and they were $8 a piece! Yeah, I wasn't about to pass up that opportunity. I'm excited to own these and I'll keep my eye out for vols. 3 and 4, but this was truly a once in a lifetime chance.

So there you go; the books keep multiplying and I don't think I'll run out of things to read any time soon. =)