The Moor (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes # 4) [Audible Version] - I can't explain how much I love this book!

The Moor - Laurie R. King

I can remember clearly the moment I picked up my first Russell and Holmes book. The Moor had just come out, as it was sitting on the new acquisitions shelf, and I had just read The Hound of the Baskervilles, so  I connected the two right away. I simply had to pick up the book with that lovely cover; it was the first non-juvenile book I ever checked out.

Looking back, it wasn't the best place to start; after all, it's the fourth in the series and Russell and Holmes were married. I can remember thinking, "Who is this lady?!" But I quickly warmed up to her, loved the story, and asked for the available books for Christmas. I've collected them ever since.

But this has always been my favorite. I love the Hound of the Baskervilles and have longed to see the moors of the Devonshire. And here King begins to show an aspect of her writing you'll see often in later books: the ability to transport the reader to a place they've never seen and yet you can picture it, hear it, taste it, and sometimes unfortunately smell it. When I read or listen to this book, I swear I can see wisps of fog teasing the edge of my vision. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Lady Howard's coach!

Again, Sterlin as the narrator adds so much to the story. I continue to love her voices for the main characters, they fit their personalities perfectly. But it is Rev. Sabine Baring-Gould where she really shines. The breathy, wavering voice with a slight wheeze once in awhile brought the old man to life. Her accent for Ketteridge, the American living in Baskerville Hall, is good too.

As for the mystery itself, it doesn't continue the mystery from Doyle's work, but it does pay homage to it. It's quite intersting and I love that Russell's reading of Gould's books leads to her solving the case!

No matter the fact that this was my introductory novel, I suggest you start with the first book of the story, The Beekeeper's Apprentice. However, it's only three books from there and one to look forward too. I never say no to hiking the moors with these two old friends once again!