#BookadayUK - Day 11: The book that made you cry

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  - J.K. Rowling

I've worked hard to NOT spoil this book for anyone who's yet to read it. I understand being late to series (even this late) and want to make sure not to ruin these books for anyone.

I know there are other books that have touched me a great deal, but I truthfully can't think of one right now. Part of that is I don't like to cry at all so when a book is leading me that way I often leave it for a bit so I can come back and read it without my emotions so engaged. Not always, but I do try. Also, I don't cry often but save stuff up for epic blow ups. Not really healthy but not something I can really change either.

So the first thing that comes to mind is the night I stayed up to read Order of the Phoenix when it first came out. That summer I'd binged read the first four books because a teacher at my school knew i loved to read and asked if I'd read them yet. I hadn't nor was I planning on it. She couldn't stand this so she appeared at my house early in the summer with the boxed set of the first four and told me to keep them the whole summer and read them. Since I had her for class again the fall semester, she'd be able to track me down. After all that, I couldn't really say no and so I tentatively picked up the first book.

By the end of the week, I'd read them twice. By the end of the summer, I'd read them at least five times apiece. I loved these books and couldn't thank her enough for forcing me to give them a chance. Sometimes, forceful perseverance pays off when recommending books.

So now I was like everyone else, dying to read the new book coming out. A friend working late picked up pre-ordered copies at midnight for us and we both "climbed into the book and pulled the cover over our heads." Which leads me to my point (in a roundabout fashion) where I finished this book for the first time at 4:00 am with my sister asleep in the same room. I was tired, completely subsumed by the story, and so when a certain death occurred in this book, I lost it. Sobbed uncontrollably (and attempted to quietly) and left water marks all over the page. Even though I'd seen it coming, I couldn't seem to stop. Basically did the same thing when I saw the movie too.

And years later, when I finished the final book at about the same hour and came to the death of my favorite character that I'd hoped passionately wasn't coming, I left quite a few tear stains on that page as well.